Estonian English Finnish Norwegian Swedish

 

Heino Eller’s Tartu Music School extension opened

16.09.2014

15th of September 2014 Heino Eller’s Tartu Music School ceremonially opened its new 3-story study building with net area 1440 m2. The Music School is located at Lossi St. 15, on the hillside of Toomemäe in Tartu city.

There used to be an old wooden house at Lossi St. 15 that accommodated the entire rhythmic music department studies in only three classrooms.  Now the new contemporary building for musical studies has been constructed with proper soundproof and good acoustics rooms which are designed according to the construction technology. The new building is designed with spacious lobby, movement studio with two dressing rooms and showers, 12 classrooms, sound-recording studio, and choir and orchestra studio with big stage and 230-seater auditorium with balcony. The building has also an elevator for transporting grand piano, if necessary. The elevator’s main function is transporting musical instruments because the orchestra studio is located on the second floor. The old and the new study building are linked with gallery.

The lead designer of the new study building was Amhold AS and project manager Jaan Aru.

Architectural design of the study building is by architects Lea Järve-Eeronen and Erik Joasaare from architectural bureau AB Järve & Tuulik . Interior design of the building is by architect Anu Ahi. Excellent design solution for choir and orchestra studio was from acoustics designer Akukon OY Estonia branch by acoustics expert Linda Madalik and constructed by Rehe Ehitus .

The new study building was built by YIT Ehitus AS and the project was funded by European Regional Development Fund from EU’s programme Development of educational infrastructure from Updating vocational education facilities’ studying environment measure. The construction cost was 2,5 million euros